One of the ways color, dimension and texture can be added to some fabric that has been sewn is by using couching. This word originates from a certain French word which means to embroider something by laying threads on a certain flat surface followed by sewing them with stitches at regular intervals.
These days, couching is done by putting down a length of yarn cord or ribbon on a certain fabric.
This is then followed by sewing the cord or ribbon in the right place by using any type of decorative stitch. This is one technique that is used to add decoration on a normal piece of fabric that has been sewn.
If one adds any kind of embellishment or trim, it can make a total difference to the fabric.
Two uses of couching are to hide mistakes that one would not want people to notice or damage the fabric and to embellish that fabric. For example, if the fabric has a certain stain there is a way some couching can be done to cover up the stain.
This technique can also be done by machine. This would need thread options, needles and the presser feet. 5 different types of presser feet that can be used for couching include:
- Multi cord presser foot – allows for couching with multiple cords at once
- Beading presser foot – allows for easy application of bead strands that can be wider than the material used for couching
- Open-toe embroidery presser foot – the basic presser foot that is used as it can work with any type of material and one is able to view them as the cord is being guided
- Cording foot – usually has a small loop attached to the foot where small braids of yarn or ribbon are fed. This helps in positioning the trim.
- Blind-Hem presser foot – allows for one to sew thicker trims and also helps on the edge of any fabric
One of the important things to remember when using a sewing machine for couching is the thread that blends with a certain fabric and its visibility. It has been found out that metallic threads give an outstanding look to couching.
If one takes time to get the right items, they can use couching to tome up with a very attractive design.