Last Updated on
Making your own hooded cloak is probably one of the best experiences ever. Instead of going to the tailor, you can do it on your own and according to your style provided that you have proper knowledge about sewing.
The best part about making your hooded cloak is that you have to spend money only on the materials of the cloak.
Here, you have to purchase a few materials before you start making the cloak for yourself or your kid.
Watching a few tutorials over the Internet is also a good idea counting the fact that you are making it for the first time.
Here’s What You Need
Listed below are a few of the important materials, which are needed for making your hooded cloak.
- You will require the fabric of your choice, and the length of the fabric depends on the measurement of your body.
- You will need fabric glue if you are planning not to stitch your cloak. However, it is important to have a sewing machine, and thread and needle ready if you want to sew the cloak.
- Scissors are extremely important as you have to cut the fabric in accordance with the measurements taken.
- You cannot miss the measuring tape as it is necessary for taking the measurements of a person.
Ensure that all these materials are ready when you have decided to make the hooded cloak on your own. It will become inconvenient even if one material is missing.
How to Make the Cape
In order to make the cape, you have to follow the steps that are listed below diligently. Only after that, you will be able to make the perfect cape for yourself or your kid.
- The very first thing to do is to measure yourself or your child from the shoulder to your knee. If you want this to be long, you can also go beyond your knee.
- Measure the chest and the arms as well. In case you are doing it for yourself, you can also ask someone else to measure it for you. Mark the areas that you have to cut.
- Once the measurement has been taken, you have to cut your fabric along the marked lines.
- Put your material in a proper way, and try to fold two inches towards the top of the fabric.
- Now you have to cut half inches for every two inches from the top of your fabric.
- When you unfold your fabric, you should see a number of holes on the top of the fabric.
You can add the glue so that you can stick the material to each side for making the cloak. If you desire, you can also stitch the sides.
However, whether you are using the fabric glue or the sewing machine for completing the cape, the others steps will remain the same.
Making the Hood
Keep in mind that the hoods that are oversized look the best. You can make the hood small or big according to the choices that you have.
It is not easy to make a hood, and there are certain steps that you have to follow for making your hood.
- Cut a square or a rectangle that has a size of 22 inches or 26 inches.
- Now you have to fold this rectangle or square in two halves along the shorter side.
- Turn the rectangular piece inside out and then join one side together either by sewing or by using fabric glue. This part will become the top of the hood.
- Next, you have to turn this hood and lay it flat.
- Fold back the bottom of this hood.
- Then, you have to cut a little portion from the hood’s back.
Now you will have both the hood as well as the cape ready.
See? You can join the hood, and the cape with the help of the fabric glue or you can stitch it.
To conclude, it depends on you whether you want to stitch the hooded cloak or you want to use fabric glue.
No matter what you do, you will end up getting a perfect hooded cloak for yourself or your child.