Last Updated on
We can’t deny the fact that rugs are an essential part of our home décor. They brighten up our rooms and provide us with warmth and comfort as we walk, sit, or even lie on them.
What’s more, placing rugs on your carpet can help protect the carpet by preventing spills, traffics, abrasive soils, etc., from reaching your carpet and causing wear.
With that said, the purpose of this post is to take you through some important tips that’ll help you come up with your own, customized rugs for your home.
These TIPS include:
Decide on the shape of your rug
First of all, you’ll need to settle on what shape of a rug to create. The most popular shapes are rectangular, square and round rugs.
However, the round rugs are quite tricky to come up with and should only be handled by someone who is confident of their crocheting circles.
If you’re trying to crochet your first rug, we advise you to stick to the rectangular and square models.
What type of yarn should you use?
Now that you’ll be crocheting a rug out of yarn, you’ll also need to decide on which type of yarn to use for your project.
You’ll be able to choose from multiple rug yarn options—including fabric yarn, jersey cotton, acrylic, etc. But keep in mind that each yarn comes with its share of pros and cons. Take them into consideration when picking the yarn to work with.
What about the crochet pattern?
You’ll also need to choose a pattern that you’ll follow to come up with your rug. Again, here you’ll be spoilt for choices as there are many, many rug patterns out there, including the FREE ones.
When choosing a pattern, however, make sure you keep the following in mind:
- Be on the lookout for a pattern that requires you to make large holes. These can be a safety hazard at your home as they can trap your toes and cause tripping
- Also, ensure the pattern doesn’t comprise making dense stitches that take up a lot of yarn. You don’t want a simple rug project to cost too much money
What hook should you use?
Your pattern will usually dictate what type of hook to use to crochet your rug.
But it’s worth noting that you can use a hook as small as 5.5mm to create rugs. The smaller the hook you’re using, the thinner your rug will be.
Additional Tips for Crocheting a rug out of yarn:
- When making your rug, you should always pay attention to the gauge, with the aim of working as tight as its comfortably possible.
- When working on a round rug, you’d also want to keep checking your rug often. If you notice it starting to buckle, it means you’ve used too many stitches. You can easily fix this by crocheting 1-2 rounds without increasing a bit and then continue with your pattern.
- Expert crocheters suggest that you finish up your rug with a crab stitch (reverse single crochet), a nice dense stitch that’ll make the edges stay flat
We found this great video tutorial on how to come up with a rug. View the pattern and give it a try.
If you’ve been dreaming of coming up with your own rugs but had no idea where to begin, this guide will give you a good starting point. Just follow all the crucial tips we’ve outlined above, and you’ll be able to crochet durable rugs out of yarn that enhances your home décor.